Black pepper chicken is an easy and quick dish that is perfect for busy weeknights. It’s delicious and easy to prepare with tasty spices and crisp bell peppers. Stir-fries can be a quick and easy way to make a delicious meal for your family. These can be made quickly and with almost any ingredients that you have.
One problem that I have with high-temp cooking is the dryness and lack of flavor. It’s always puzzled me why stir-fry meats from Chinese restaurants have a velvety texture and are succulent. You see, velveting is the secret to a velvety texture.
skills to cook moist, tender meat
- The Chinese cuisine of Velveting involves the marinating of chicken, pork, beef, or fish in egg white, cornstarch, and rice wine, then briefly blanching in oil or water.
- In quick stir-fry applications, the velveted meat can be topped with other ingredients such as this beef and mutton or this black pepper chicken.
- This simple step creates a protective coating that seals moisture in the meat and prevents it from overcooking.
- It keeps it moist and tender.
- This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken leg or thigh meat.
- Breast will also work. To ensure tenderness and even cooking, slice the meat along the grain.
- Stir-frying can be done quickly.
- Make sure you have all ingredients ready.
- This recipe calls for bell peppers, onions, but you can substitute celery, spring onions or mushrooms for this version.
- Use freshly ground black pepper for best results and season the dish generously.
- 1 lb chicken leg meat, slice into 1 or 1/2 inch cubes
- 1large egg white
- 1/4cupoyster sauce
- 1tbspsoy sauce
- 1teaspoonblack pepper
- 1tbspChinese rice wine
- 3tbspcanola oil
- 1teaspoonsesame oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, planted, cored, and cubed
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sowed, cored, and cubed
- Drain the chicken well.
- Combine egg white, cornstarch and rice wine in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the bowl. Season with salt. Mix until smooth. Mix in the chicken, and then stir.
- For about 30 minutes, let the chicken rest in the refrigerator.
- Drain the chicken using a colander. Combine about 2 inches of water with 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and immediately add the chicken. Stir to distribute. Bring the water to a simmer.
- Once it has barely boiled, cook the chicken for approximately 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Use a pointed spoon to exclude the chicken from the pot. Drain well. Keep warm and place in a bowl.
- Combine oyster sauce, honey and rice wine in a bowl. Add sesame oil, honey, rice vinegar, black pepper, and soy sauce. Mix until smooth and then set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pan or wok over high heat. Stir in the bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Cook for approximately 1 to 2 minutes, or until crisp and tender.
- Mix the sauce ingredients and bring to boil. Stir in the chicken, and then coat it with the sauce.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 1 to 2 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately.
How to serve Black Pepper Chicken
- This delicious stir-fry chicken is great with steamed rice or fried rice and chow mein to create an Asian-themed lunch/ dinner.
The remaining food can be stored in a tightly fitting container for up to 3 days or frozen for up 2 months.
- Heat in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, mixing after each interval.